As a domain registrar and Web Developer, I am expected to give my clients and everyone at large relevant information that either affect or affect them and their businesses, particularly in this time of Covid19 pandemic.
According to my broadband, on 26 March 2020, Communications Minister Stella Ndabeni-Abrahams has approved new requirements for South African ISPs and website owners as part of the government’s plan to fight the spread of the COVID-19 coronavirus.
If you own a .za domain, this new rule applies to you.
- “All Internet sites operating within .zaDNA top-level domain name must have a landing page with a visible link to www.sacoronavirus.co.za“
Please comply as this will have implications if not done. Even though I do not own a .co.za domain I should be exemplary. Hence an example is the top part of this website as seen in the picture below.
If you are a Website owner with a co.za, .org.za, .net.za, .ac.za TLD please contact your web developer/Designer or contact me here to have that fixed on your website.
Other new rules include:
- Broadcasting Licensees are required to receive and disseminate public information related to the national effort to combat the spread of COVID-19.
- All Licensees with access to radio frequency spectrum are required to make available their platforms for the streaming of public announcements to their subscribers.
- Electronic Communications Services Licensees, OTTs and ISPs must remove fake news related to COVID-19 from their platforms immediately after it is identified as such.
- Licensees must provide zero-rated access to local educational content websites.
- Audio visual services, especially the broadcasting services licensees, must increase their educational programmes to support awareness of COVID-19.
- Licensees with access to high-demand spectrum must make available connectivity to 104 district virtual classroom platforms with minimum speeds of 10Mbps to support virtual teaching during the COVID-19 national disaster.
Prince Chiramba is an Expert Web Designer and Digital Marketer. Known for his robust marketing campaigns. Over the years, he has developed websites and marketing campaigns for Law Firms, Financial institutions, Private hospitals, Service companies, Ecommerce companies and more. He is a Google certified Digital Marketer on a mission to help Small businesses succeed online.